Our Approach to PPEs
At OccMedCIC, our goal is to thoroughly screen the pre-placement candidate to assure that he or she does not have a condition or functional deficit which represents a medical contraindication to the safe performance of a specific job. Furthermore, we add value by identifying and helping to address any medical issues that might hamper that person’s productivity and general well-being. We believe strongly in the positive health benefits of work. We take professional satisfaction in helping set individuals up for long-term success in the workplace.
To facilitate the PPE, we encourage employers to provide detailed, written job descriptions. This is particularly important when the work involves tasks that are safety sensitive, physically strenuous, or ergonomically challenging. If job descriptions are not readily available, then one of our occupational medicine providers may request to perform a walk-through of the job setting to observe specific job tasks as well as to interview the appropriate on-site personnel.
OccMedCIC performs a variety of preplacement examinations. Some exams are questionnaire focused (e.g., Respirator Clearance per OSHA Standard 29 CFR 1910.134). Other exams have specific requirements set by federal regulations (e.g., DOT exam, FAA exam). Still other exams involve a thorough physical examination coupled with extensive testing (e.g., police, fire fighter, ground and air emergency health care professionals, air traffic controllers). Such extensive testing may include, but is not limited to:
- Blood testing (e.g., complete blood count, chemistry profile, heavy metals)
- Urine testing (e.g., urinalysis, kidney function tests, heavy metal screen)
- Tuberculosis testing (e.g., skin testing, blood testing)
- Spirometry (pulmonary function testing conducted by NIOSH-certified medical assistants)
- Audiometry (hearing tests)
- Drug screening (urine, hair, saliva)
- Electrocardiograms (to assess heart function)
- Chest x-rays (to screen for asbestos, silica, tuberculosis)
- Functional Capacity Evaluation (assesses fitness by having the individual perform simulated job tasks)
- Vaccination screening (and updating, as necessary)
Please call to inquire about pricing based on exam requirements.